Season 7 is the one where Abby and Luka struggling to connect and in episode 14 Luka’s patient the bishop helps them on a new path.
A Walk in the Woods starts off with four amorous morning scenes with four couples of the show. The last ones out are Abby and Luka who just concludes some morning loving and I have always loved this after-sex small talk that has so much in it. I find it very sweet and intimate in their own, introverted kind of way and the way Abby cautiously start to talk and explore is something the really have not done before.
I have also come to love that whole episode and realising how that first scene sets up the rest of the episode for these struggling love birds.
The scene itself is beautiful:
- Abby’s careful kissing of his hand as they finish the sex.
- Their sweet mutual check to see if the other one is okey.
- How Luka first says “nothing really” before honestly telling her he is thinking about the bishop at the hospital.
- How Abby feels comfortable to make a joke: ”Making love with me makes you think about a priest with lupus?”
- Luka laughing, appreciating the joke.
- Abby using the ”making love”-words again as she is noticing that Luka looks at her when doing that.
- How Abby connects Luka’s thinking about the bishop with him thinking about his past, and hesitates but then asks him about his dead wife.
- How Luka never stops touching her, stroking her hand, her hair and letting his lips touch her head.
- How Luka quietly tells Abby what she wants to know.
- How Abby is not threatened by his answers, but happy he had loved.
It’s all very soft and low-key and shows their relationship is more to them then just something casual. That the want to connect even though they are struggling to do it. They talked, even if not using so many words. They opened up, if only just a little bit.
In a later scene Abby goes to find Luka in the ambulance bay, and I love that fact that she goes and finds him (”we always seem to find each other”). He is upset about the bishop leaving the hospital against medical advice. Abby understands him, not only that he is worried about the bishop, but that Luka needs him. She is the one telling him to go after the bishop and help him, understanding it will also help Luka.
The bishop’s story about a walk in the woods, when he was feeling lost, not knowing which way to go, as he tells Luka at the church, becomes Luka’s story. And when Abby again comes to find Luka in their final scene, Luka is also looking for answers in the snow. He too is lost and confused, not finding it as easy as he first thought perhaps to actually move on with another woman. When Abby shows up he takes another look towards the sky before deciding he is ready to go home with her and be with her, not only physically but emotionally. It will just takes another visit to the bishop and a heartbreaking confession before he is completely ready.
A Walk in the Woods is written and directed by John Wells.
Note! All photos are screenshots from DVD. Material owned by Warner Bros Entertainment Ltd.
For more of Abby and Luka visit: ER’s Abby and Luka